Using Large Flow Volume Firefighting Fans
LARGE FLOW / VOLUME FIREFIGHTING FAN: Why use it? In what situations? Which one to choose?
More than ever, there are larger building structures, and the number of large new buildings is constantly growing. To meet these challenges, LEADER has designed firefighting fans (LFV – Large Flow fans also called MVU – Mobile Ventilation Unit) that provide higher airflows to effectively fight large fires within: Warehouses, Tunnels, Airports, Industrial complexes, High-rise buildings, etc.
IN WHAT SITUATIONS WOULD YOU RECOMMEND A HIGH FLOW/VOLUME FIREFIGHTING FAN AND WHY?
FIREFIGHTING VENTILATION / SMOKE EXHAUST OF ROAD OR RAILWAY TUNNELS:
Large flow firefighting fans allows the creation of an air flow if the fixed ventilation system is defective or, it allows to reinforce the air flow. It works to :
- evacuate smoke outside of the structure,
- cool the volume and
- facilitate the intervention of the emergency services.
FIREFIGHTING VENTILATION / SMOKE EXHAUST OF AIRPLANE AND OTHER AIRCRAFT:
High flow firefighting fans can be a great help in the passenger evacuation phase. Indeed, by rapidly overpressurizing the fuselage, it allows:
- quickly evacuation of smokes,
- rapid supply fresh air,
- and increase visibility in restricted space.
FIREFIGHTING VENTILATION / SMOKE EXHAUST AT AIRPORTS:
Since airports are composed of very large, interconnected halls, it is imperative to be able to quickly evacuate smoke and prevent it from spreading, thus limiting the impact of a disaster on travelers and ensure maximum safety.
FIREFIGHTING VENTILATION / SMOKE EXHAUST OF FACTORIES AFTER FIREFIGHTING INTERVENTION
Fixed smoke extraction systems are not always present or sufficiently sized to capture smoke. Thus, this can lead to a stoppage of production generating significant financial losses (several K€ per minute of stoppage).
A MVU (Mobile Ventilation Unit) is a mobile, modular and flexible solution at a lower cost for occasional use. It can greatly reduce smoke extraction times in industrial sites. It can also ensure the overpressure of volumes to prevent the spread of smoke and hot gases in other warehouses.
FIREFIGHTING VENTILATION / SMOKE EXHAUST OF SHOPPING CENTERS
Shopping centers are often made up of the large stores and related shopping malls. They therefore represent large volumes in which smoke can quickly diffuse. It is then necessary to be able to extract smoke massively to make both people and property safe.
FIREFIGHTING VENTILATION / SMOKE EXHAUST OF HIGH BUILDINGS
Varied building configurations often require a large flow ventilation to create sufficient pressure from the stairwell to the top floor. The size of a building multiplies the number of openings, sources for pressure loss. The pressurization of the total volume is therefore more efficient with a LFV (Large Flow fan).
FIREFIGHTING VENTILATION / SMOKE EXHAUST OF COVERED / UNDERGROUND PARKING
Large flow firefighting fans are able to work in over pressure or under pressure depending on the architecture of the premises. A large flow fan can, depending on the situation, ensure the action of smoke extraction in premises without a fixed system. It can also complement or supplant existing fixed systems depending on the situation encountered. When LFV are equipped with exhaust ducts, they can remove smoke from larger volumes than smaller exhaust fans (in fact, the flow rate of a Large flow fan fitted with a duct is 6 to 10 times greater than that of a conventional extractor).
WHY USE A LEADER LARGE FLOW FIREFIGHTING FAN (MOBILE VENTILATION UNIT)?
HIGH FLOW FAN = VENTILATION / SMOKE EXHAUST OF LARGE VOLUMES ASSURED
When Completely independent of fixed firefighting protection systems, these high-flow fans are mobile and allow ventilation of very large volumes quickly and efficiently. Indeed, the airflow range of LEADER large airflow fans extends from 115,700 m3/h to 1,120,000 m3/h! They are thus able to ventilate very large volumes quickly! They perform best within underground parking or warehouse fires.
EASY TO OPERATE BY ONE PERSON
LEADER trailer-mounted high-flow fans are easy to operate and position by a single person. Their weight / power / maneuverability ratios make them efficient high flow rate fans with unrivaled performance.
ADAPTABLE TO ALL TYPES OF VEHICLES
LEADER Large Flow / Volume fans are available in trailer or “skid” versions to be mounted on all mobile intervention means: pick-ups, truck, railway platforms, lifting arms, trailers, trolleys and forklifts, as well as tracked vehicles, etc.
ACCESSORIES AND OPTIONS FOR GREATER EFFICIENCY
- Misting system: Fitted as standard with a misting system for water or water with additives with a flow rate of 260 l/min at 7 bar and a effective range of up to 60m, LEADER high-flow fans dilute and cool smoke more efficiently.
- High Expansion Foam Adapter: Turns the fan into a High Expansion Foam Generator that can generate foam through a duct over 30m. Very useful for drowning out a cellar or parking lot fire, for example. It is thus possible to fill a large volume using our LEADER MIX foam dosing systems and BIOEX fluorine-free foam concentrates.
- Shroud inclination: Fitted as standard with a system for tilting the shroud (from -10° to +20°), LEADER fans can be adapted to all configurations: landings, stairs, tunnels, underground car parks , cellars, etc.
- Blowing or extraction ducts: They allow the fan to ventilate a space that is difficult to access due to building constraints or cramped premises.
- 360° rotation system: manual or electric depending on the model.
- 1200 mm or 2000 mm lifting platforms: LEADER large volume firefighting fans can be mounted on lifting tables from 1200 mm up to 2000 mm (for the EASY 2000 range only) to ventilate over any obstacles: vehicles, walls, industrial machines…
- Exhaust extensions: Allows the exhaust gases to be discharged outside of the room where the fan is located or away from the fan’s suction area, in order to limit the introduction of gases such as CO.
WHICH LARGE-FLOW FIREFIGHTING FAN TO CHOOSE?
MULTIPLE CONFIGURATIONS TO MEET WORKING CONSTRAINTS
Electric, petrol-driven, hydraulic or connected to the PTO (power take-off) of a vehicle, portable, towable, LEADER large-flow fans have the best common denominator: Performance and Robustness.
When properly outfitted, they will be easily adaptable by the customer to the transport solution they have chosen (tracked, truck, flatbed, etc.) to meet operational needs.
PORTABLE LARGE-FLOW FANS:
These portable firefighting fans are simple solutions with excellent value for the money. With smaller dimensions, they are particularly useful for ventilation of medium-sized industrial buildings, underground car parks…and are designed to be used simultaneously on multiple entrances/exits. The electric models can be equipped with a misting system (optional) to provide them with thermal protection and will be particularly efficient in extraction. The LEADER portable high-flow ventilators are as follows:
- ESP280 / 115 700 m3/h open air flow / 75,5 kg
- PARKFAN 80 / 115 700 m3/h open air flow / 83 kg
- MT296 / 128 950 m3/h open air flow / 76,7 kg
LARGE FLOW FANS:
These fire-fighting fans are mobile solutions for the ventilation of very large volumes: Warehouses, Tunnels, Airports, Industrial complexes, High-rise buildings, etc. LEADER high flow/volume firefighting fans are as follows:
EASY 2000 on Skid or EASY 2000 trailer-mounted / 350 000 m3/h open air flow / from 158 kg to 447 kg depending on the model and options.
The EASY 2000 is an effective solution for ventilating large, intermediate-sized volumes such as hangars, medium/high-rise buildings, underground car parks, etc. Using several EASY 2000s together, allows flexibility of action because they can be used simultaneously to optimize the power of air movement. They can also be assigned to various strategic points within a city.
EASY 4000 on Skid ou EASY 4000 trailer-mounted / 810 000 m3/h open air flow / from 372 kg to 692 kg depending on model and options.
EASY 4000 is THE answer for the ventilation of very large volumes such as tunnels, industrial buildings, very high buildings, airport halls…
For more information visit www.leader-group.company