Tactical Considerations for Extinguishing Fires in Hybrid and Electric Vehicles
This video takes the data gathered through the HEV/EV high voltage battery burn study conducted by the NFPA’s Fire Protection Research Foundation and breaks it down into a series of tactical considerations and best practices for extinguishing fires in HEV and EVs.
NFPA offers free online safety training to the U.S. fire service on incidents involving alternative fuel vehicles including electric, hybrid, hydrogen fuel cell, bio-diesel and gaseous fuels such as CNG (Compressed Natural Gas), LNG (Liquefied Natural Gas), LPG (Liquid Propane Gas), and their recharging/refueling stations. The online training can be started and stopped at any time and features videos, animations, simulations, review questions, and scenarios. Highly engaging 3D interactive vehicle models that reinforce concepts are continuously refreshed with the latest technology and fire tactics.
Topics addressed include:
- introduction to hybrid, electric, fuel cell, & gaseous fuel vehicles
- basic electrical concepts
- vehicle systems & charging/refueling infrastructure
- initial response procedures
- identification methods, immobilization, disabling, emergency operations
- unanticipated vehicle movement, electric shock hazards
- toxic and flammable gas build-up & electrolyte skin contact
- extrication, vehicle and battery fires, submersion
- high voltage battery damage, battery re-ignition
- incidents involving charging stations & refueling stations